“Blackbirds” - 45 minute structured music class for children 3-4 years old,
Each class has a topic and focuses on one musical concept (fast/slow, high/low, loud/soft etc.) predominantly through:
· singing songs in tune within the children’s range in the group and solo
· dancing which helps conscious understanding of musical structures and the expression of moods in the music
· playing musical games
· movement - walking, marching, jumping, skipping, running, sliding
· use of percussion instruments for rhythm repetition, rhythmical ostinato as an accompaniment to a song, and improvisation
· Listening to live and recorded music to learn about instruments and recognise them, an opportunity t hear some unusual instruments and possibly to try them out
· to sing independently and to recognize a song from hearing only the melody or rhythm
· to work towards rhythmical values and to read them from images
· to learn relative solfa and the body signs of so-mi-la.
Teaching material – 3 volumes of Singing Rascals, 2 volumes of Rhythmic Rascals and plenty more nursery rhymes and folk songs from around the world.